There are many scholarships and grants that practicing or prospective nurses in California can apply for.
Each of them will be for different amounts and each will also have different conditions attached to them, but most will require that the applicant is a resident of California or is studying at a California-based educational institution.
Scholarships and grants are offered by many parties including, among others, private individuals, memorial funds, private sector businesses, nursing associations, universities and colleges.
Specific Scholarships and Grants in California
AW Bodine – Sunkist Growers Scholarship
This scholarship is not specific to the nursing industry but, as it is open to any and all students at any stage of their undergraduate career in any field, prospective nurses or nurses who have already completed a part of their undergraduate studies may apply.
There are several eligibility requirements and these include:
- Financial need; and
- A student has to have a parent, sibling or grandparent that either is now working or used to work in the California or Arizona agricultural industry.
The exact number of these scholarships awarded every year depends on the exact number of applications that are received. Further factors that are taken into account when determining a student’s eligibility include recommendations from third parties, grade point average and college board test scores, and applicants will also have to complete an essay.
The scholarship comprises a once-off payment and all applications need to be filed before April 30th of any given academic year. Further information about this scholarship can be obtained directly from Sunkist at P.O. Box 7888, Van Nuys, CA 91409 or through their website at trade.sunkist.com.
California Emergency Nurses Association Scholarship
The aim of this scholarship is to provide those members of the Emergency Nursing Association (ENA) who are from California financial aid for completing their studies. This annual scholarship will comprise either one $1,000 grant given to one student or two $500 grants given to two students and applications have to be filed by April of each academic year.
In order to be eligible to apply for this scholarship, a student has to:
- Be a member of the ENA and has to hold a current Californian RN license;
- Want to register for a bachelor’s degree or higher qualification and must either already be enrolled or accepted into the program; and
- Submit a copy of their CV, a letter detailing how the emergency nursing profession will benefit from their obtaining further qualification and practicing in the field and documentary proof of ENA membership, RN licensing and course enrollment or acceptance.
Students who are interested in applying for this scholarship can apply directly to the Emergency Nursing Association for further information at 2223 Coolcrest Way, Upland, CA 91784 (tel: 909-985-2811 and website: www.ena.org).
California Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents’ Parley Nursing Scholarships
This scholarship consists of one amount of $2,000 that is awarded to one successful candidate and its purpose is to provide educational funding to residents of California who are also sons or daughters of veterans. Like the others, this scholarship also has several eligibility requirements, which include:
- A student has to be a California resident who is the son or the daughter of a veteran of either World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada/Lebanon, Panama or Desert Shield/Desert Storm; and
- A student has to be either starting or continuing a study program at an accredited Californian educational institution.
A student will also be assessed on factors like financial need, leadership, Americanism, character and scholastic merit to determine eligibility.
Any student who is awarded the scholarship cannot reapply for it during a later year of study but can apply for scholarships of lower amounts.
How many of these scholarships are awarded each year depends on how many eligible applications are received and the deadline for the submission of applications is April of any given academic year.
For further information, interested parties can contact The American Legion Auxiliary, Attn: Department of California, Veterans War Memorial Building, 401 Van Ness Avenue, Room 113, San Francisco, CA 94102 (tel: 415-861-5092 and website: www.calegionaux.org).
California PTA Continuing Education Scholarships for School Nurses
Ten of these $500 scholarships are awarded every year specifically to school nurses in order to assist them with continuing their education.
The deadline for the submission of applications for this scholarship is November of any given academic year and eligibility requirements include:
- The applicant must be a licensed RN who must have been employed by a Californian public school for the last academic year;
- The applicant must have at least one year’s experience in nursing at a Californian public school and must also be contracted to continue to practice as a school nurse in a public school in California for the next year;
- The applicant must also plan to continue practicing as a public school nurse and must wish to continue with her studies at an accredited educational university or college in the State of California.
Should any school nurse wish to obtain further information concerning this scholarship, they should contact the California State Parents Teachers Association, 2327 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95816 (tel: 916-440-1985 and website: www.capta.org).
Further Scholarships and Grants
A short list of the further grants and scholarships available for California nursing students and nursing professionals who wish to continue their education includes the following:
- California Registered Nurse Education Scholarship Program for $8,000 (number awarded varies each year) (www.healthprofessions.ca.gov)
- CAN Nursing Education Scholarship Fund for $1,000 (five awarded each year) (tel: 510-273-2200)
- CANA Scholarship for $1,000 (one awarded each year) (www.aana.com)
- Charles Hardy Memorial Scholarship Awards for $1,000 (renewable each year) (Service Employees International Union, California State Council of Service Employees, 1007 7th Street, 4th Floor, Sacramento, CA 95814).